Congress could vote on two key pieces of legislation that will mean a fairer workplace for millions of LGBT Americans. Every phone call we make now has double the impact. Here's why:
1) The House of Representatives is considering the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), which bans workplace discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity. It is time to vote this historic bill out of committee and move to a full floor vote.
2) In addition, both the House and the Senate have a real opportunity to repeal "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" (DADT), the unfair policy that keeps patriotic LGBT Americans from serving openly in the armed forces - the biggest employer in the country.
A vote is expected on May 27, and Senator Kay Hagan (D-NC), (202) 224-6342, serves on the Armed Services Committee and is in a critical position to make a positive difference.
For repeal to be included in the Senate version of the Defense Authorization bill, we need to reach 15 votes on the committee. And that's where we need your help - right now.
We've been asking for your help to move these Senators for months. If you've already called - call again. Urge your Senator to vote for DADT repeal this week. Just one vote on the committee could make the difference between victory and defeat.
Call today and say that waiting another year for repeal is not an option.
- Call your Representative and tell him or her to repeal DADT and pass ENDA now. (Simply call the Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121,give the operator your zip code and ask to be connected to your Representative.) Or send an email: Go to www.house.gov and click on"Write Your Representative."
- Tell both your Senators to repeal DADT now. Senator Kay Hagan (D-NC), (202) 224-6342, is in a critical position to make a positive difference and needs to hear from LGBT folks and allies. (You can also call the Capitol switchboard (202-224-3121) or go to www.senate.gov and click on "Find
- Forward this information to your friends and urge them to call or email their members of Congress.