Healthcare and wellness are important for everyone, but LGBT folks have the added burden of having to come out to their healthcare providers or risk hiding critical details about their lives.
The medical industry is progressive and LGBT-friendly in many ways - consider how many gay nurses and doctors there are, as well as focus areas that attract gay folks like hospice care, HIV/AIDS, and assistive reproduction - but it also has a very staid, conservative aspect.
Since most healthcare providers are straight, PFLAG has created the Straight for Equality resource to help educate medical professionals on issues that are relevant to LGBT clients.
Straight for Equality is a national outreach and education project designed to empower allies in supporting and advocating for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people by inviting allies to speak up, educating them, and engaging their support and advocacy for equality.
Resources available at this website include:
- The Straight for Equality pledge
- 10 simple things you can do to change the world as an ally
- Meet some allies, read their stories ... and tell yours.
- Read a book, watch a movie, or find other ways to move equality forward.
- Endorsing Organizations: Find out what groups support this project and learn how to get your organization to join in.
- Founding Sponsors: Learn more about some of our corporate allies who have provided us with the resources to do this work.
Just the act of providing information about this resource to your doctor's office can help raise awareness about LGBT lives and issues. Print out a copy of this PDF of the 10 things to do as an ally and take it/send it to your doctor.