- Public Policy Polling released their findings on support for the School Violence Prevention Act, and it's no surprise that North Carolinians, across party lines, overwhelmingly support the passage of this bill. You can look at their detailed findings here
- The NC Policy Watch blog, the Progressive Pulse, featured an article on the public's support of the SVPA written by our very own Ian Palmquist. It's a great article (and we're not just saying that cause we have to!) and you should check it out!
- The Daily Herald of Roanoke Valley and Lake Gaston did a profile of Angela Bryant, and she gives her support for the School Violence Prevention Act and the Healthy Youth Act here.
- Thanks to Pam at Pam's House Blend for sharing the results of GLSEN's national youth survey on transgendered students. The study reveals disturbing realities for transgendered youth in schools - yet another reason for passing the SVPA. You can read more those findings here.
- Another great LGBT blog out of Wilmington, Be Yr Own Queero, wrote a great blog on the Marriage Discrimination Amendment which you can read here.
- And in some very exciting worldwide news, President Obama announced his decision to sign the UN's declaration on decriminalizing homosexuality. You can read about that here. Well done, Mr. President! Now let's get that Crime Against Nature law off the books in NC!
Friday, March 20, 2009
Equality in the News: March 14 - March 20, 2009.
Unfortunately, not every week holds such excitement and media coverage as the previous weeks have shown. This week had a few follow-up stories on the School Violence Prevention Act and various LGBT-related issues that directly affect us here in North Carolina. We look forward to seeing you all at the Day of Action on Tuesday - and if you haven't registered - please do so now! And now, the news: